March is National Nutrition Month and this year’s theme is “savor the flavor of eating right!”
Healthy eating does not have to mean bland, boring food. If you think healthy food doesn’t taste good, then you’ve come to the right place!
There are so many ways to savor and fully enjoy a tasty and healthy meal! Here are just a few:
Use fresh herbs and flavorful spices to make an otherwise plain dish into an exciting one.
Eat mindfully by removing distractions at meal times so you can fully experience the taste, texture, aroma, and sight of a fresh meal.
Choose seasonal produce for the best flavor and likely a lower footprint.
Fill your plate with a variety of foods with different textures and colors for a more satisfying experience for your taste buds!
Experiment with a new recipe; trying something new might just lead you to your next favorite dish.
If you’re in need of a new recipe to try, how about this delicious stuffed bell pepper recipe! This recipe has become a new favorite of mine! It is so easy and I have been experimenting with different ingredients depending on what I have in my pantry and in my refrigerator. I liked it best with orzo and kale but it was also good with brown rice and zucchini. Try it out and let me know what you think!
Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 2-4 bell peppers
- Trader Joe’s “sausageless sausage” (or protein of your choice)
- shredded pepperjack cheese
- kale, chopped
- onion, diced
- Preheat oven to 375
- Wash bell peppers and cut in half lengthwise (or you can just cut off the top), remove seeds
- Bake prepped bell peppers alone on cookie sheet for about 7 minutes
- Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package instructions (boil in water, then drain, like you would pasta)
- Crumble or dice your sausage and cook with onion and chopped kale on the stove, until hot
- Mix cooked orzo with sausage and veggies
- Fill bell peppers with orzo mixture, top with a sprinkling of shredded pepperjack cheese
- Bake at 375 until cheese is melted, about 12-15 minutes
- Top with basil and enjoy!
Did you try this recipe? What did you think? What are your favorite flavorful healthy recipes? I would love to hear from you in the comments!